Welcome to my blog! I am so excited to share my art and adventures as an administrator with others. Thank you for making the time to view my blog and giving me your input.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

So, here is my review of the "Frida" exhibit at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art: I LOVED the show! This painting was my favorite in the exhibit. I had never seen this painting up front before this exhibit. I was very surprised at the size of this painting - it is quite large. In fact, it was her largest piece. There were about 25 paintings in the exhibit and I would say that a good chunk of this work has never been exhibited in the United States before. Those paintings belonged to the executor of Frida Kahlo's and Diego Rivera's estate: Dolores Olmedo. And for many years, Olmedo would not allow the paintings to leave Mexico. There were only 2 pieces I didn't recognize. I have never seen them in any of the books I have on Frida Kahlo. Also, there were lots of personal photographs that have never been made public before. It was almost like peeking into Frida's photo albums because the photos were so intimate in nature. The photos give you a real sense of Frida as an artist, woman, wife, and daughter. The thing I LOVED the most about the exhibit is that I got to see all these paintings up close, just inches away from my grasp. And because I was so close, I got to really examine her technique. I saw all those little details you really cannot appreciate in a book such as her use of a pencil for things like facial hair and the use of mixed media, collaged pieces of newspapers and/or magazines used as part of a painting's background. The show is worth every penny! And the museum did a great job of organizing the in's and out's of crowd control. If I had more time in my schedule, I would try to go up to the city 1 more time before the exhibit closes on September 28. But, I know that is not going to happen!
This is some of my "stash" I bought at the museum store, at SF MoMa. At the bottom of this photo, you get a little glimpse into my latest journal. I made this in Kelly's class, "The Storyteller", which I took about 2 months ago. I have been slowly working on it. The photos below are some of my most recent pages in this little book. If you get a chance to take Kelly's class, do! It is a GREAT class!

The photo above is a shot of the front and back covers of this little booklet/journal I am currently working in. All of the rest of the photos are of my journal pages in this book. This is what I have done so far...
Another 2 pages from my little booklet/journal. I have so many colors! I have worked into these pages paint, Caran 'dAche and Portfolio crayons, and markers.

2 more pages from my journal. On the right side of this page, if you look closely, you can see my handprint in the background.

These pages have metallics and an interesting paint that I worked into the background: Golden's Interference Blue (fine). It gives off a rich, metallic look, an almost silvery sheen and there is a bluish-purple tint that seems to give these pages their color.

On Friday night when we stopped for a dinner break before continuing on to San Francisco, I worked on these 2 pages above. While we were waiting for our food to be served, my husband had his head in a book, a familiar scene I have witnessed for almost 30 years! And I whipped out my journal and started writing. Sitting across from us was a table full of nuns! Since I have naked bodies in my journal, I was very mindful of not flashing the nuns these pages. Having them in such close proximity to me brought back memories of me being in Catholic school! And I kept imagining my soul resting in Hell for an eternity!







No comments: