Welcome to my blog! I am so excited to share my art and adventures as an administrator with others. Thank you for making the time to view my blog and giving me your input.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

This is 1 of my favorite paintings, by Chicano artist, George Yepes. It is called "La pistola y el corazon" and appears on 1 of Los Lobos' album covers. Today, I got a little break from work. I attended an all-day workshop at the Gene Autry Museum that had to do with the arts in education. I really enjoyed the workshop and skipped lunch to attend the "Bold Caballeros y Noble Bandidas" exhibit that is currently running until May 2009. Here is the link for more information: http://www.autrynationalcenter.org/. It is a really terrific show and it covers several categories such as film, el dia de los muertos, art, and the Mexican Revolution. The painting above, and other of Yepes' work, are displayed in the exhibit. Before I left the museum, I snuck into the gift shop for what I thought would be a 'quick' visit. I spent an hour-and-a-half in the store and bought some cards and a couple of really cool Frida pens that are going to be stocking stuffers! I am such a paper whore! Anything paper, cards, wrapping paper, handmade paper, etc., I have to have my hands on it! Sometimes, just touching the paper is all I need! I can get my fix from just feeling the textures. A friend of mine from work is trying to score some Indian paper for me. A couple of years ago, I bought some Indian papers that are called "firecracker paper" and now, I have just a couple of scraps left from the original paper I purchased. My friend is Indian and has hit every Indian store in the Southland in her quest to locate this paper! Now, that is dedication! Yesterday, she told me she is ready to ask her family back in India, to be on the hunt for it! That is pretty cool...

No comments: