Welcome to my blog! I am so excited to share my art and adventures as an administrator with others. Thank you for making the time to view my blog and giving me your input.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I love how these flowers change from a fuchsia to a pale peach. These beauties put on quite a show, but unfortunately, it is very short-lived. Their blooming season is about 2 months long; peonies bloom in May and June. A little background regarding where the word "peony" comes from. The peony was named after Paean, who was a student of Asclepius, the Greek god of medicine and healing. As a result of Asclepius becoming jealous of his student, Zeus saved Paean by turning him into a flower. I LOVE mythology and take any opportunity to re-tell a story. It is the English teacher in me! That NEVER seems to go away.

Oh, the peony, my favorite flower of all.

No comments: